Saturday, January 23, 2010

More treasures!

I have gained some new titles in my library over the past two weeks or so.  As I mentioned earlier I finally received the Gerhard volume on Christ, which Dr. Ben Mayes (who gave an excellent lecture on Wednesday!) was nice enough to sign it for me while I was there.  

Beyond that, I found online a facimile copy of Nicalaus Hunnius summary of Christian doctrine.  It's apparently copied from the Cornell library and is interesting for several reasons (BTW, you can get it on Amazon very easily).  First, it was a facimile of a book published in English in 1848 and has an inscription in it from a man who lived in Boston.  Meaning, that being that there was only one German Lutheran Church in Boston at the time, that he probably went to the First Lutheran Church, where my wife attended when she was getting her doctorate at Boston College.  The second interesting thing is that it was published in Loehe's hometown in Bavaria.  What it appears is that this was translated by an associate of Loehe to be used with the German Lutherans or English speaking Lutherans in North American missions.  So it's really cool.

Lastly, for those who have been awaiting it, Repristination Press has finally published the first volume of the Chemnitz-Leyser- Gerhard "Harmony of the Four Gospels."  I bought it at a discount at Ft. Wayne.  

Now, I would agree with Scaer that the Gospels are not supposed to be in linear order, so a harmonization of them is not only impossible, it's pretty pointless.  Nevertheless, what the book are really is is a giant Lutheran orthodox commentary on the Gospels.  Meaning that it should be a gold mine of Scholastic typological-prophetic exegesis of the gospels.  Very neat stuff!

5 comments:

  1. Jack writes: Meaning that it should be a gold mine of Scholastic typological-prophetic exegesis of the gospels. Very neat stuff!
    I respond: When I went to Seminary I was taught that each passage has only one meaning. This does not seem to reflect how Luther used Scripture or Johann Gerhard and of course the Church Fathers. It does not even seem to be how the New Testamet used the Old Testamen Scriptures. When did this ideda that each passage has only one meaning come into the Lutheran church? It has a reformed feel to it but I was taught it in a Lutheran seminary. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greg, I would have to do more research on the question, but I believe it was in the Repristinating theology of the 19th century. It must be recognized that although the Neo-Confessional Lutheran in the 19th century like Piper and Walther took over much of the structure of the older dogmatics, they left alot of things out. One thing was that they favor a more flat and less typological reading of Scripture. They also tended to be disinterested in natural theology.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much for posting this lead to Hunnius. Just today I was tracking down similar "classic Lutheran systematic theologies" and to be able to get this is wonderful. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This antipathy to typical-prophetic exegesis was present outside Missouri Synod. The Ohio Synod theologian RCH Lenski did not employ it in his exegesis or in his homiletical writings. It seems to be part of enlightened modernity itself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greg, I think you're correct. Again, I think that this was a feature of the 19th century. Even for theological conservatives typology seemed unscientific.

    ReplyDelete