Friday, February 26, 2010

Leupold on Genesis 44:33: You've got to be kidding me!

I was looking at a number of commentaries regarding different exegetical opinion on certain passages. My hope was to improve the manuscript of my book further by adding on to it. So, I was looking at the very old commentary by H.C. Leupold on Genesis, particularly Genesis 44. In this text, Judah offers himself as a subsitute for Benjamin. What does Leupold say about it: don't use this text for a sermon, it's no good for sermons.

Are you serious? I mean, Jesus' ancestor offers himself as a substitute for another, and you say you can't find anything to preach on in this. Seriously?

3 comments:

  1. That's what you get for holding to a rectilinear position at the expense of typology. Many "old" (like the last 100 years) commentaries do this. I even heard in a lecture by a fairly well-respected prof that Exodus 32 (Golden calf -- Moses pleads to be blotted out to save the people -- Levites are "ordained") had no Christology or any other doctrine in it. But it was worth discussing because it was inspired.

    It's like the Bible is a book of facts which happen to talk about Jesus, or other doctrines, sometimes.

    ReplyDelete