Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Apparently NOT a popular topic

Sorry that I haven't posted in a few days. I was at my in-laws house for the 4th and was distracted. I have a new post on the Marian doctrines for later in the day.

Anyways, guess the LCMS presidential race wasn't as popular a topic as I suspected. I'll be interested to see what happens in this coming week and maybe say something about it. I pray for the future of our denomination.

In the meantime, according to some, I'm a secret Roman Catholic- because I teach as an adjunct at a Catholic school. My professors at Marquette would doubtless be very surprised in light of my debates with them over JDDJ.

Very funny stuff. Take a look here:


3 comments:

  1. "His doctrinal pal is Jack Kilcrease, formerly ELCA, nominally LCMS (I think). Kilcrease teaches at a Roman Catholic college, so he is an expert on Lutheran doctrine.... When Jack becomes Father Jack, will Paul express shock and dismay, as he did with EO Priest Fenton?"
    Bwa ha ha! Sorry for the bad pun, but Jackson doesn't know Jack. Also, still no head on clown body. Pity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm... it would be funny if it weren't true.

    I do think that a serious problem in American Lutheranism is that people tend to exclude the voices of those they disagree with by saying they don't have the right to say anything (especially a woman! Didn't saint Paul say they shouldn't say anything anywhere, unless they're telling other women how to be good wives?) or that they don't have the right pedigree (meaning that they have read "non-Lutheran" authors -- the horror!)

    Anyhow, I guess Bethany does know Jack (as many puns intended as you can think of) so I'm glad to hear he's not becoming a papist.
    :)

    Anyhow, I would love to share some news about the synod, but I don't know anything.

    sorry.

    George

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree George- I definitely think people should be listened to for what they say, and not who they are. Generally speaking, my rule would be that the speaker only matter if he's God or someone God has appointed, i.e. the authors of Scripture. I've said some very nice things on here about the Pope, even though I of course agree with all the critiques of the idea of the Papacy in the Lutheran Confessions. I also think that some Catholic thinkers such as St. Thomas Aquinas and Hans Urs von Balthasar have some good things to say. Obvious Johann Gerhard did also, in that he frequently quotes St. Thomas and agrees with many of his ontological claims.

    For all of Jackson's education, he doesn't seem to get that poisoning the well is a logical fallacy. It's in intro to logic courses which I tutored when I was at Marquette.

    ReplyDelete