Luther said a lot of odd things. That's ok, so do I- although I lack his brilliance and consequently find it harder to get away with. I thought I would give short list of the top strange statements in Luther. Some are in Table Talk and consequently might be apocryphal. But I have a rather hard time believing people made them up. So here they are:
1. Satan is responsible for bad beer. (Table Talk)
2. Luther's next door neighbour growing up was a witch. She caused nose bleeds in his brother and him. Their mother had to appease her with pastries. (Table Talk)
3. A woman in Luther's town growing up gave birth to a mouse. (Table Talk)
4. Witches cause calves to be born with two heads. (Galatians Commentary, 1531)
5. Witches cause crop damage and hail (Galatians Commentary, 1531).
6. The per capita witchcraft rate has declined since the beginning of the Reformation (Galatians commentary, 1531).
7. The Pope has his breakfast served to him by seven naked girls. (Table talk).
8. The world will only last for another 50 years, since the world can only last for 6,000 years (Chronicle of the Years of the world, 1541).
9. Luther said he got married to spite the Devil and the Pope (Letter, 1525).