Saturday, July 2, 2011

New Flacius Book Published.

My wife and I had a wonderful time yesterday going out with Pr. Wade Johnson and a number of other LCMS, and one ELS pastor for lunch and some beers.  Wade gave my wife and I some copies of the new Flacius volume which my wife helped to copy edit.  These are very handsome volumes with nice illustrations.  They are hard copy as well, and very professional looking.  As I read my copy, I will be certain to report on it.  Here's the advert (as the British say) and a link to the website.  Order today!

Adiaphora and Tyranny:
Matthias Flacius Illyricus on Christian Resistance and Confession in the Adiaphoristic Controversy

Including an introduction by Dr. Oliver Olson

When the Schmalkaldic League was defeated at the Battle of Mühlberg and the Elector Johann Frederick was captured, the Lutheran Reformation's future seemed precarious at best. In order to avoid persecution or further hardship, some theologians were willing to assent to compromise formulas intended to placate the Roman Catholic emperor and princes. A few others, however, especially those gathered in Magdeburg, a city under siege, refused to do so. With Matthias Flacius, they held that "in the situation of confession and incitement to sin, nothing is an adiaphoron." This book includes translations of four of the important works Flacius wrote to buoy his fellow believers in their resistance and to explain what he and his coreligionists considered to be the proper biblical teaching regarding adiaphora.

Price $29.99
If you order now through Magdeburg Press, 
$23.99 (limited time Internet price)
Church orders of 10 or more, $18.99* 
(*Church orders of 10 or more must be placed via email to magdeburgpress@gmail.com or by phone at 989-980-2995, and not through Paypal.)

Link: http://www.magdeburgpress.com/

4 comments:

  1. I look forward to reading this book. I gained a lot from Matthias Flacius and the Survival of Luther's Reform. Is this new book a sequel to that one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, it's an actual translation of Flacius' book on adiaphora. Also check out the translation of the Clavis which I wrote the introductory essay for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the info. I assume you have read the Olson book. I loved it, though it could have used better copyediting. When I can afford it, I will look into the books you mention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matiya Vlachich Ilirik, a Croat, my neighbor! Well, yea, it's true that we Serbs fight them Croats every 50 years or so, but still... neighbors are neighbors: good will among them, and all that stuff...!

    ReplyDelete